Thursday, 31 March 2016

Running-y* thoughts

Its been a while since I've written a post about running (unless you count the one about having a mid-life crisis and listening to Jessie J while waving jazz hands at the postman).

Still doing it, still feeling a bit 'meh' about it tbh (even with the jazz hands).

I had a read back over all the posts I wrote on the C25K last year and I was so surprised at how cheerful a lot of them were.  I had forgotten that running made me feel like that.

I had a brief moment after Christmas when I got a spangly new Garmin Forerunner and everything felt exciting again.  Although, I must admit that I was slightly disappointed that it was so bloody accurate.  It took over half a kilometre off some of my running routes and made a lot of my achievements over the previous six months seem like they never happened (well, they didn't really did they?).

Ooh, spangly! and annoyingly accurate...


And so, I've kind of been faced with starting the whole journey all over again.  Working on my pace which after a lot of perseverance is getting better, but the distance?  Not so much.

I had wanted to be able to run 10K by the end of last year, but I didn't manage it for one reason or another (realistically I have no good excuses).  Happily that has now changed, and last month I finally ran that 10K.  I say 10K but really it was about 9.5K with about another 800m of me running up and back down the road to get the final few metres in on my watch.

But I still feel 'meh', like even doing that isn't quite as good as I'd hoped.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the feeling I get when I come back from a run, but I'm not so sure where I'm aiming for any more.

So I thought about all the things that helped me on my original path to learn to run in the first place.  Some new kit always helps cheer me up, (I may do a little running haul post if I get time). Although I bought some new running shoes in November, they are making me feel so slow compared to my old ones, so I'm going to change them as well. I am also going to start writing my progress down more.  Sorry if you think that's boring - I'll try to make it as entertaining as I can, but it really helps and it's my blog so there *sticks out tongue at all the haters*.

I'm off to go and make a playlist now for the new month (you know how I love to run to music - the more inappropriately silly the better).  I might share it so that you can all laugh ;)

Could somebody somewhere just PLEASE shake some virtual pom-poms at me in the comments below.  I could really use it.

Ta.

* Running-y is totally a word by the way.  I know this because I've just invented it.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome to run 10k! I absolutely love running and always feel like a different person after a run. I admire anyone who gets out there and runs, so you are ace in my opinion! I used to run a 5 mile route, measured by my husband in his imagination I think. It was a shock when I got an app on my phone informing me it was 4.2 miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really wish I felt awesome. I'm thinking more and more that I just need a new challenge. I'm going to try and up my distance to a regular 10k first though. I flounder around the 6k mark most days which isn't enough to make a difference. How annoying that your 5 miler wasn't 5 miles! I think I might have cried! Hopefully writing it all down will give me a bit of a push in the right direction.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...