Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Dr Seuss - What Pet Should I Get?

"Can we get a dog?"  said the twin boy on the way home from school one Monday afternoon.

"Why do you want a dog?" I replied.  He didn't know, but at the minute he just wants a pet.  This is just part of many recent discussions on the subject of pets.  His sister really likes rabbits and cats and birds.  Needless to say they can't decide on one (even if I was going to let them have a pet - I'm not).

Coincidentally, that same day a new book arrived for review.  What Pet Should I Get? by Dr Seuss.

I was quite excited about this book, not only because I thought it would be quite interesting for the twins given the recent pet ownership negotiations, but because the book itself is a gorgeous hardback book full of lovely quirky illustrations as you'd expect from the Dr Seuss collection.



In the book a brother and sister go to a pet shop to choose a pet, except when they get there they can't decide which is the best pet to get!

What Pet Should I Get concentrates on how difficult it is to make up your mind.  Well, it is when you are little, isn't it?

I read this book with the twins after school one day. It was a great book to help them wind down after a day at school and fired up plenty of pet-based discussion.  We liked the rhyming storyline, so typical of Dr Seuss books.  Twin girl read it to us with relative ease, all the way to the end.



But which pet did Kay and her brother end up choosing?

The book ends on a cliffhanger - YOU have to decide!  I'm pretty sure we've narrowed it down to a cat, or maybe a dog, rabbit or a bird!  You see!  Choosing is tricky!



This has become a favourite for reading at bedtime and the illustrations add some extra humour to the story. Because its a hardback book I think it would make a lovely gift too.

What Pet Should I Get? published by HarperCollins Children's Books, is priced at £12.99 and is available from 28th January 2016.


We were sent a copy of What Pet Should I Get? for the purpose of this review.  All words and opinions are our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...