Monday, 16 March 2015

Teenage Bubble

The teen really is the gift that keeps giving in terms of Blog fodder at the moment.  If I'm not bemoaning how tricky it is being his parent, I'm usually busy laughing at how slow he is on the uptake.  Of course I now feel that I need to point out just how grateful I am for his existence, but that isn't the point of this post really, so I won't...

No.  I want to recount a story so that you might laugh at how silly some of the things that come out of his mouth are and how he often doesn't think much before he speaks (remind you of anyone? ;) )

The following happened last weekend.

DS1 who is glued to a games console about 90% of the time had a parcel arrive in the post for him.  Nothing unusual about that but the contents perplexed him somewhat.


A CD.

Which would be nothing out of the ordinary if you grew up in the 90's, except that he didn't.

Nothing to play it on whatsoever.  Everything my children listen to is digital or on YouTube.

I was partly grateful for this as it appeared to be a CD of gaming soundtracks from Nintendo (really? is that what they listen to these days?).  Then DH suggested that we download the music into iTunes on our computer and then put it onto his iPod so that he could listen to it.

DS1 looked rather worried...

Turning to us in a low voice he said "if we do that does the music, y'know, stay on the CD still?"

:)

(I was very tempted to tell him that little scourers inside the computer removed the music at high speed, polished it and then spat it out of the slot again, but I didn't.)

The following day.

We had just enjoyed a really nice Sunday lunch at my mum's house.  DS1 was making a nuisance of himself hoovering up the leftovers in the kitchen as only a teenager can.

Suddenly he marched purposefully into the room and said "I've just realised something!"

We waited with baited breath as to what this revelation would be...

"The floor in Grandma's kitchen and in our house too, isn't really made of wood!  It is just a photo of wood, how weird is that?!"

Yes, readers, we have laminate, which incidentally we had put down because we knew how messy a certain toddler was when we moved in.  He has lived with it/walked on it for 14 years now and has only just realised what it is made from.

Sometimes I love him and despair of him in equal measure wonder whether DS1 is living in the real world with the rest of us or if there is some sort of teenage bubble shielding him from the not so harsh realities of daily life...

*sigh*


Little Hearts, Big Love

10 comments:

  1. Love this! Just the sort of thing my 13yo would come out with too. It's definitely like they don't actually live in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Priceless aren't they? I weep for the future...

      Delete
  2. Tee hee - my oldest is seven so all the wonders of the teenage years await me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *snorts* I have a soon to be tween and already I am becoming aware of this bubble... The comment about the laminate made me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have no idea why that required such an announcement. Proof that I really don't know how his mind works at all... ;)

      Delete
  4. Lol, love the thoughts from the teen bubble. I am sure I made similar amazing discoveries in my teenage years too. It seems so strange that a CD is so alien though - that does make me feel quite old to know something I remember being new and exciting is now completely archaic as far as my children are concerned! I love the concern about whether the music stayed on it though! Thanks for linking up to #ftmob :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. It makes me feel old too!

      Delete
  5. Hehe this is awesome, though I am feeling a little old as I love CDs. So funny =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - we have hundreds of CDs but as the teen is in his bubble I doubt he's properly noticed them... ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...