Monday, 9 March 2015

Couch to 5k Week 6 - Two steps forward and one step back

I'm trying to make more of an effort to keep on top of these C25K posts from now on.

Last week I completed Week 6 which means I have completed two thirds of the programme now - phew!

I should have finished this week much sooner, only I was so keen to get out on day two that I mistakenly hit day one again on the app and repeated myself.  I was so cross when I got to the end of it, all hot and exhausted and thinking I'd completed two out of three of the runs, that to find I had to effectively run day two of that week again was a little disheartening - two steps forward and one step back.

Having said that I was quite glad in the end to repeat the first run of week 6 again (even if it wasn't intentional) because I had been finding the start stop nature of the programme one of the toughest things to get past.  Repeating it only served to make the rest of the week seem better over all.

Week 6 culminated in a full 25 minutes of running.  More than I've ever done since I did cross country running at school *whispers* nearly 25 years ago (I was almost always last too)... but I did complete it and I didn't even ache the following day.  Well, not a lot.

I have also had to alter my route in the last week.  I'm not all that familiar with some of the roads around here but managed to work out a route that took me to just over four and a half kilometres without too many roads to cross.  The last part of the route is up a very gentle incline (can't call it a hill as you'd barely notice it if you weren't on foot).  This doesn't sound too bad as I write it but when I'd been running for twenty minutes already I really had to dig deep to get to the end.  I would imagine it won't be long before I need to change the route again so that I don't run out of road in the final few weeks - at least my local geography is improving!

I've also started to think that its time to ditch my jacket when I go out - with the sunny days that we're now having it is just too warm once I get moving.  My only issue with this is where on earth do I put my phone?

Lastly, I've already shared this picture over on Instagram but I was so happy with these times on Map My Run that I'm putting it here too :)

a 6.45!


Stuff I've learnt this week:

Drinking lots of water before and after a run helps with hydration and this (apparently, according to the app) prevents stitches.  I have not yet had a stitch while running but it seems like sensible advice and so I'm sticking with it.

Blisters can come back :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...