Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Wicked Wednesdays

Hello!  I'm back, finally.  Can't quite believe that it's been three weeks since my last Wicked Wednesdays post.  I have been so busy and aside from a small technological breakdown last week am now back on track for more #WickedWednesdays fun.

Last week my eldest daughter invited a friend round after school.  This was a new thing for me because rather unlike when you have primary aged kids round to play, which requires supervision, with preteen girls all that happens is that they disappear upstairs for ages and hang out on kik and Instagram for hours, while listening to One Direction or something like that.

Despite the fact that they hardly spent any time outside my daughter's room I still felt the need to clean the house from top to bottom before DD1's friend arrived (please tell me I'm not the only one who does this).  Anyway, as I was shoving yet more clutter into a cupboard so it didn't look like we live in a total pigsty, I discovered the following which I photographed for your delight.

You know that I have already showcased DD2's beautiful artwork (which continues to appear by the way).  I thought I'd show you what happens when you move on from home drawn pictures to gifts bought by a child with no supervision whatsoever.  

This was a gift bought by DS1 a few years ago. He was on a school trip and for some reason suddenly decided that we needed an anniversary present.  It probably had a lot to do with being faced with a shop full of tat (and that we'd packed him off on his trip with a crisp tenner) and that he felt he had to spend the lot, but I am still to this day aghast at his choice of present.

You also have to imagine that this was presented to me in a crumpled paper bag after having been stuffed into his suitcase next to his dirty socks for a week, for full effect.

Bought with my own money #winning

I have no idea why he chose this.  I do not like dolphins or ornaments.  My house is practically an ornament free zone.

Readers, I had to pretend to be really pleased.  I had to display it on a shelf in the living room for the best part of a year until he forgot about it.

So, parents of small children, cherish the badly drawn pictures, for this is what they turn into eventually.  One day you too can have a home full of tat lovely ornaments.  Although, he's getting better.  For my birthday this year he bought me his favourite chocolates (so that I could share them, of course).

Still, it's the thought that counts, isn't it?


brummymummyof2

18 comments:

  1. It's the thought that counts....lol hehehe! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. He did - can't part with it for that reason alone!

      Delete
  3. Mmmm... lovely. ;)

    #wickedwednesdays

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! At the schools here they actually have a mobile gift company that comes in the month of December to sell gifts to the kids for Christmas presents. They have ridiculously overpriced things like this figurine, and a cornucopia of other items that are totally inappropriate as gifts. I tried to explain to the kids that we would prefer a handmade card and craft, but nope, so we forked over the money. I'm "so excited" to see what I get...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Shannon, that's a brilliant idea - I bet the people who run that make a fortune. This sort of tat is irresistible to kids so it must be quite a money spinner! I'm waiting for your instagram of all your "gifts" now - at least I'm not alone!

      Delete
  5. Lol, I can remember buying my mum some similar tat when I was a kid as well. One of the presents that I was convinced she'd love one Mother's Day was an autograph book (she has no interest in collecting autographs whatsoever). She was very good at pretending that it was the best present ever though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she's better than me - I really tried (and failed) not to laugh but I'm a terrible liar!

      Delete
  6. At least he thought about you, er, sort of!!
    #wickedwednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good god I dread to think what my girl would come back with. Would be utter crap! Thanks so much for linking up with Wicked Wednesdays this year and I can't wait to see you again in 2015! Merry Christmas. Love Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is you've been warned - the hand drawn gifts may be horrific but at least you can recycle them...
      Merry Christmas to you too Em. Can't wait to see what next year brings in the way of #WickedWednesdays offerings... ;) xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...