Thursday, 27 November 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - Autumn

It's been absolutely ages since I joined in with HDYGG and I've really missed looking at all the beautiful garden inspiration from everyone else (even though I rarely have anything to show that is inspirational myself).  So this week I thought it was high time I wrote something about our gardening exploits.  The truth is that we are very fair weather gardeners and since my last update, apart from doing a bit of tidying up as the autumn started to arrive, I have done nothing since.  I thought I'd post a few snaps of the weird and wonderful things that have been happening since September in the garden anyway.

Firstly, the tidying.  Perhaps I was a little early as most of the leaves were still very much on the trees, but I was pleased with it all the same.  This was my (slightly grainy - sorry) view from my chair in the garden as I enjoyed tea after a hard days clearing up.



As I was tidying I found something that I wasn't expecting.  We have for a while now had a hedgehog who uses our garden as a thoroughfair.  You can see the hole he uses under the fence and the trail of droppings across the lawn leading to his exit at the back of our car port and driveway.  As I was clearing away the dead leaves and weeds I found that the hole usually used by the hedgehog had grown somewhat.  Either he's put on an awful lot of weight or there is something new visiting the garden.  Funnily enough, a few weeks before I found the enlarged hole, DH had gone out to put some rubbish in the outside bin and discovered that there was a similar sized hole under our garden gate.  We have weed suppressant membrane and pebbles in this area and the mystery creature had ripped the whole lot up and dug right down to the sandy soil underneath to escape the garden.  It was a right mess.  And to think I blamed the kids for messing around in the garden without our knowledge!  Sorry kids.


Autumn is pretty much the only time of the year when I really enjoy what's in our front garden.  As you can see we live on a fairly modern housing estate and our front garden is the product of the house developers.  Even after 13 years we haven't changed it much.  The original tree that was planted here died shortly afterwards and so I asked the developers to replace it.  They came along and planted this Ash tree and I'm so glad they did.  I just love the colour it goes in September.  This year it is even bigger and redder than ever.  I even caught one of the neighbours taking a snap!  The only thing I don't love are the amount of leaves that it drops.  We has a really breezy weekend shortly after this picture was taken and now there are leaves everywhere.  We still haven't tidied them up...


Other things happening in our back garden include plants doing things that they shouldn't be doing.  I'm not complaining.  We bought a Fatsia a year or two after moving in here and it's been steadily growing year on year ever since.  I've always wondered why it has never flowered but my mum (the gardening expert of the family) said that it just needed to reach the correct level of maturity first.  I had high hopes this year when it seemed to put on more leaf growth than ever, but I was sadly disappointed - not one single flower.

Imagine my surprise on looking out into the garden last week and finding flowers poking out from the foliage at the end of the garden.  I have no idea why this is happening in November but I'm afraid there are a few shots as I've waited so long to see this!





I didn't include a full garden shot this time, as I say, we haven't done much to it and it is looking a bit of a state.  The leaves from the Magnolia have dropped off now, revealing hundreds of fluffy little flower buds ready for spring.  I always love this - so exciting to think that once winter has been and gone there will be so many beautiful flowers to look forward to!



Not only that but our daffodil bulbs have started to sprout up from their pot.  I'm assured that they'll stop once the frost comes, but it just goes to show that even though this time of year the garden looks quite dormant, things are still happening out there.


Sadly, I don't think we will be enjoying our Acer next year.  Since September it has been looking like this.  Initially I thought it was just shutting up shop for the winter, but the leaves went like this far earlier than my neighbours Acer tree, and instead of falling off properly they have stayed this way ever since.  I can't believe that this is the second Acer we've lost this year.  It seems we are never destined to own a healthy tree :( .


So that's the Autumn in our garden.  Apart from topping up the bird feeder out there I don't think I'll be doing much else this year. It's funny but as the garden winds itself down for the year I am suddenly feeing that we are all missing that extra space.

It is so wet and grotty that it is very difficult to spend any time out there.  Even the children are using the garden less.  DD2 rushed out at the weekend in her wellies to play on her swing but soon came back inside sobbing because she had slipped over.  She is still hoping for snow so that we can build a snowman - a bit early for that!




How Does Your Garden Grow

14 comments:

  1. Could your mystery creature be a fox/fox cub? Reading about you blaming the kids made me laugh :) Our Spring bulbs are growing too - they don't know what they're doing at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought about a fox but I thought that if they were stuck they'd jump over the bins and fence? I always blame the children, terrible really but my twins love digging things up! The bulbs will be fine I'm sure - we have quite a sheltered garden so they probably haven't felt the cold as much as they should!

      Delete
  2. I love that beautiful red tree, it is a lovely sight for this time of year x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish it still looked like that now...

      Delete
  3. Love the photos of the Fatsia, glad it's flowered for you :) The red tree is gorgeous. Such a shame about your Acer though... #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Acer, with a bit of luck it might be ok as the stem seems fine. The Fatsia flowers are so nice. We've had six flower heads now :)

      Delete
  4. We had an acer that did similar - always wondered if it had outgrown its pot. Love the tree in your front garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about the pot but took advice before we bought them and was told it would be fine. Maybe it depends on the variety? If it turns out to be ok I may plant it in the ground somewhere instead.

      Delete
  5. The one that's in flower is a Fatsia and it's supposed to flower now - pretty isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely! My mum had one ages ago but it used to flower in the summer so this was something of a surprise!

      Delete
  6. I would put money on a fox being the culprit of the digging, we have one who visits our garden (tempted in by the guinea pigs sadly) and he's done the same sort of thing by our fence. I blamed every cat on the block for a while!
    That ash is stunning, lovely hit of colour :)
    Fingers crossed for your acer, we have one that if fine until July and then dies off till April - odd shizzle indeed!
    Thanks for joining in again - nice to have you back! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, the marks in the ground were a bit dog like around the hole so you might be right - I thought they were more agile than that and would jump! The ash is gorgeous but I'm sad I didn't get a better picture of it before all the leaves blew off now. Yes to crossing fingers. This will be the third one I've killed if it has gone. It's nice to be back - always a great linky to join in with!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...