Thursday, 28 August 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - August

I can't be the only person thinking "What on earth happened to the summer?".  It has definitely left the North West of England that's for sure.  The sunshine, when it appears, is watery, the sky is mostly full of clouds instead of house martins, the plants in the garden have started to turn brown and drop leaves all over the lawn.

As I was looking out at what passes for our garden these days the other morning, I was surprised at just how many leaves there were, but on closer inspection they weren't leaves at all.




An entire carpet of mushrooms has grown under the trees in one corner of the garden.

One of the many reasons I like joining in with HDYGG? every month is that it allows me to not only document the changes in the garden month by month but also to appreciate the things that are unexpected or shouldn't be there too.  I should really get around to mowing the grass at some point, but I'm rather enjoying popping out every day and seeing the mushrooms there for now.

Another thing I'm still enjoying in the garden are the cheeky birds who come to use our bird feeder.  Now, in the past I've been a bit rubbish at feeding the birds, but my mum gave us a big tub of wild bird food (after some mice had broken into our shed and eaten all of ours!).  This really seems to have made a difference with attracting the birds to come back - then are mad for the stuff!  At the moment I'm filling the feeder three times a week which is amazing considering that last year I had to clean the feeder after I found grass growing out of it!  I'm particularly fond of the blue tits that come every day and balance one on each side while they eat.  The pidgeons are rather keen on this too as they get anything that is dropped on the ground below.  I never get any pictures of them however, as soon as I whip out a camera this happens!  I will get a picture one day.


The other garden birds are clearly getting ready for the colder weather too and blackbirds have stripped the berries of the laurel - it was laden with them a few weeks back.


Even my herbs have started to wind down production for the year.  I have tried and tried to encourage my parsley plants this year but they have all ended up like this.  Usually I would have a freezer full of the stuff by now.  



Still, at least some things are continuing the way they are supposed to - this photinia still looking lovely! (I know I've shared before but it really was looking extra shiny and red yesterday!)


In the next couple of months on the to do list - another garden chop back I think.  I want to try to get things looking tidy for over the winter.  My mum has kindly donated some bulbs (and planted them!) so we may even have flowers for spring!


Manneskjur

12 comments:

  1. I really like your photos of mushrooms and leaves, makes me want to put a snuggly jumper on :) We've got lots of mushrooms growing too - they've all popped up since yesterday. Nice photinia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemma! The mushrooms made me feel all Autumnal too - we've never had that many before but I quite like them!

      Delete
  2. Red leaves and mushrooms makes me longer for full on Autumness now! Every time I see mushrooms it take me back to childhood books where fairies used them as houses - I love to imagine that actually happens even now :)
    Birds have started to come back here too, after all seemingly vanishing over the past few weeks- so long as they don't start yamming my rocket again - I'm happy!
    Thanks for joining in again - enjoy what's left of August x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fairies here as far as I know but they do look kind of like a magical carpet! The birds I've got here haven't anything to eat apart from the seed so I don't mind their antics for now. The only issue I have is that I cannot get hold of the bird feed fast enough for them! Can't wait for September!

      Delete
  3. My parsley looks exactly like yours-clearly not enjoyed tho year. I'm no the look out for our next mushroom invasion-they sprout literally overnight around old logs and a tree stump. I like them but I'm paranoid my son will try eating them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know what went wrong with that parsley - I've used the same pot before. Maybe it was a bit overcrowded? Back to sticking it in the borders next year I think - always end up with loads of it when I do that! My mushrooms have since shrivelled away - looks like I'll be getting the mower out after all!

      Delete
  4. i wish i could relate. but i can't. the sun shines here just about every day out of the year. leaving me earning for nothing but cloudy days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice! Having said that I do know what you mean - I'm really ready for Autumn now!

      Delete
  5. Mushrooms are really pretty to look at & I always imagine little people living in them till now! Never lost their magic on me =) #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  6. your garden certainly has a lovely autumnal feel. You have reminded me about bulbs - I must get some ready for planting ... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the Autumn comments, it is a beautiful time of year but looks like it's on the way already. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mushrooms are just screaming autumn, we got some bulbs the other week already for planting out when I finally decide where to put them

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...