Thursday, 31 July 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - July

How is it the end of July already?  Yet again I've neglected to post a garden update, in fact I've neglected my garden in general so this isn't a gardening post as such, but here it is anyway.  

You might remember that I was waiting for my day lily to flower.  Well, after days of pacing in front of the kitchen window checking on its progress finally it flowered.


I don't know what happened here but it didn't seem to affect the rest of the plant.


The rest of the blooms were utterly beautiful.  Such a warm and cheerful colour.





Joining the lilies in the same flower bed were this. I have no idea what it is but I love the vibrant pink flowers.




Although I've moaned a bit about the lack of flowers this year (totally our own fault really), other plants are providing colour in a way I hadn't imagined.  This ornamental currant is at the bottom of the garden.  The berries are so bright that even the children have noticed them.  I suspect they won't last long though given the number of birds visiting out garden at the moment.



Even the new growth on the branch ends is providing contrast with a different shade of green.


As I say this month we have neglected our gardening duties somewhat.  We have still spent time outside enjoying the space however.

One of the main things I've noticed, especially at night is how much wildlife there is.  From the bare patch of earth that came with our new build house 12 years ago, we now have a garden which is seeing house martins, dragonflies and even a bat or two!  We have a resident hedgehog and so many birds.  I can never get any pictures though!  It is fascinating watching the various flying displays in the evenings (obviously with a glass of wine in hand - is there any other way?).  Couple that with the plane spotting (we're on the flight path from the airport) and star gazing and it keeps us all happy!  Our garden may not be the perfectly manicured riot of colour that I'd like but it is still a nice place to be.


Manneskjur

11 comments:

  1. How lovely to have so much wildlife in your garden. We're getting lots more butterflies now that our buddleia is flowering, but no hedgehogs here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and taken me totally by surprise. We got rid of our buddleia a while back as it got too big but I did used to enjoy the butterflies when we had it!

      Delete
  2. Your lily is really pretty, I've never seem one that colourful before! I've love to attract hedgehogs to our garden but sadly there's no way for them to get in. Your garden sounds like a good place to relax :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma, funnily enough our neighbour has the same lily in her front garden but I don't know the variety - must be a readily available one I think! The same neighbour puts food out for the hedgehogs so they've been coming a while and they burrow under the fence into our garden - probably like all the slugs and snails that we seem to have!

      Delete
  3. How lovely-I have a day Lilly too but it's more orange in colour. Mine go that funny colour after flowering sometimes too but it doesn't seem to damage the plant either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pic was taken before it had a chance to flower - no idea what happened because it was green at first. We have had more flowers on it this year that I can remember in the past so maybe that had something to do with it? As always I'm clueless!

      Delete
  4. Your garden sounds amazing with all that wildlife, how lucky you are to have it on your door step

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky - I'm particularly fond of the little bats that flit around at night. I love watching them.

      Delete
  5. I do love a good lily, they always smell lovely too. We have bats here too, seems to be a good year for wildlife so far. It's nice to see that you are enjoying your garden so much - I need to do a bit of stargazing myself!
    Thanks for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any other year our garden has been so full of so many creatures - even the birds seem to be flocking there more. Maybe its because it is relatively untouched!!

      Delete
  6. I have never had a perfectly manicured garden and anyway, the scruffy way is better for wildlife :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...