Friday, 20 June 2014

My Kitchen Story - A Step Back in Time

I was recently looking through some old photographs and came across some that I'd forgotten I'd even taken.  Opening the paper envelope I was hardly expecting to feel as nostalgic as I did, but inside were some pictures from our very first home together, bought just six months before we got married, 18 years ago.

(For this next bit, you need to imagine wiggly lines going up and down your screen, a bit like in that series of Friends where the script writers all went on strike and they made episodes up out of lots of flashbacks.)

Our house was a little starter home on the outskirts of Macclesfield, overlooking the old Hovis Mill by the canal, and we loved it.  I mean we really really loved it and thinking about how I felt about it at the time, it was far far more exciting a purchase than out current home.  It was possibly made slightly more exciting by the fact that everything inside it was chosen by us.  Every spare minute we had was spent thinking about our new home, how we would furnish it, what colour carpets we would have, from the moment we signed on the dotted line to reserve our plot.


Our house being built!

The Hovis Mill in the distance - taken from the end of the road

Further up the street - our house was the fourth one up on the right


We chose a plot with a Kitchen/Dining Room, largely because I fancied myself as a bit of a chef and wanted a bigger space than just a galley kitchen.  I imagined how we'd entertain our friends in it and cook delicious meals.  I chose white units (I say chose, but there was actually only one other style to choose from) and insisted on white tiles rather than the patterned tiles that were on offer.

This is the show home kitchen

My kitchen being put in


We were really pleased with our choice and when we finally moved in I can remember us sitting on the floor in the kitchen (no furniture!) and eating a pizza which we'd cooked to try out the oven.  We were so thrilled - it was all ours!

A few years after we'd moved in - note the cat on the worktop
which is the reason why we no longer have a cat.


We forged friendships over dinner parties with new friends and neighbours there.  We shared our first Christmas meal together alone in that kitchen.  Drank coffee at the kitchen table with the newspapers on a Sunday while nursing a hangover there.  It was the heart of our home.

We had planned to keep the house for only a few years and move into something bigger but then we had a surprise.

Little did I realise on that first night in our kitchen, sitting on the floor eating pizza that just four years later I would be using that same room to sterilise bottles, to warm them up in the middle of the night, to make tea and coffee for gatherings of new mum friends and to feed our baby his first taste of food.

DS1 eating in the kitchen


Our house wasn't a big one but it was just right for the three of us.  It was cosy.  I really miss that house.  In fact, in a recent rose-tinted spectacled moment I decided to search Right Move using our old post code as a starting point.  Right at the top of the page was a familiar sight - our old house!  I couldn't resist having a look around (after all, that's what Right Move is meant for isn't it?).  Of course, the kitchen has long since been ripped out, replaced by one rather similar to our current one.  The house looked rather empty and unloved, not like the family home it was when it belonged to us.  A few things remained - the blackout blind in DS1's room and despite the new kitchen, the light fitting that DH put up above the dining table.

We couldn't live there now of course - there are far too many of us!  We now have a very grown up bigger house which has one thing our old one didn't (apart from lots more bedrooms) - space in the kitchen for a dishwasher.  I love my dishwasher nearly as much as my first home.  DH loves it too (as he does most of the washing up) and has recently discovered Fairy Platinum tablets for it.  They are not only good at cleaning the plates as you'd expect, but they leave our dishwasher smelling fresh and clean too (which is a bonus as it is probably the most used thing in our kitchen apart from the washing machine).  It's no wonder they've been awarded Best in Test 5 years running by Which?



Our first home has since been re-sold to a new owner (I checked Right Move again - its addictive isn't it?!).  I really hope they love it as much as I did.

This post is an entry for the "My Kitchen Story" Linky Challenge, sponsored by Fairy Platinum (find out more here).

We were sent some Fairy Platinum tablets by Britmums to enable this post.  All opinions are our own.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed glimpsing into a your of years ago and your lovely kitchen - loving the yellow very much. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate :) DH painted that yellow just before DS1 was born and I loved it at the time - so bright and cheery.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...