Thursday, 26 June 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - June

It's been a while since I wrote about our garden.  To be honest I don't know quite where June has gone.  I've been busy but not really in the garden and so I guess that's why it hasn't been high on my list of things to blog about.  Anyway, I couldn't let June go without doing a quick garden post.  I've only taken a few shots but wanted to share what's been going on out there.

Firstly I'm still loving the Aquilegia.  They've obviously seeded themselves far and wide and I've now found two different colours scattered around the borders.  They are just about the only thing flowering at the moment and they do make me smile.





Having said that it won't be long before they are joined by these beauties.  Daylilies.  I can't wait for their golden yellow flowers to open up.


Despite not much in the way of flowering plants we do have a rather rampant Photinia which is rewarding me with its wonderful red foliage.  It kind of makes up for the dead Acer earlier in the year, although I do have to keep chopping it back and losing the red leaves to keep it in check.  They soon come back though.


Next to that is this rather neat looking Honeysuckle.  Believe it or not this was a two inch high stump about three months ago.  We had to chop it down following the collapse of the fence and we had planned to dig it up.  DH put the wire conical around it to mark its spot but it rather loves growing up it now.  I'm not kidding when I say it grows daily and we have to keep trimming bits off.  It really needs something bigger to grow up but I'm reluctant to let it use the fence as I think this is why it fell down in the first place and I'm not prepared to deal with that again!




Lastly (and especially for Annie), I managed to get some good pictures of our Regal Fern which is now huge.  It is quite different to the other ferns as it unfurls.  I love the way it looks a bit like broccoli here but then the fronds become flat.  Sort of like the pop up tent of the fern world!

From this...

to this!

That's about it on the garden front, although I didn't want to let another week go by without mentioning that we attended the Ideal Home Show in Manchester a few weekends ago.  I was under no obligation to blog about it although I was sent the tickets but we had a fabulous day and saw lots of interesting things, including some garden related stuff to die for!  My mum and I fell in love with something called a Breeze House which is like a little grass roofed hut with seating inside.  It doesn't sound very exciting but they really are luxurious and we went to their stand more than once to stroke the lovely things and dream about owning one!  I won't post any links as I'm not doing any free advertising but I'm a bit in love with them if only I had a lottery win to spend. *sigh*

I also didn't take a proper camera as I'm such a noob (to coin a phrase used by DS1) and so when I actually spotted a real life famous gardening person giving a talk I only got this shot:

Look it's Diarmuid Gavin!

Never mind eh?  We had a blast though and it gave us loads of ideas (and blisters on my feet!).

As an aside, I'm using a different camera for my garden pictures this week.  What do you think?  Better or worse than usual?


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

24 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking very healthy and lush, and that honeysuckle looks so healthy. I do love aquilegia, too, and it's spreading all over my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The chop back obviously did the Honeysuckle good but its nearly a full time job trying to stop it from taking over again! I'm going to let the Aquilegia seed itself where it fancies now. It's too pretty to contain it in one spot!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing your before and after fern shots, just amazing how they unfurl, love the word unfurl too! Lilies have a special place in my heart so I will look at Day Lilies, had never heard of them before. Visiting from Annie's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fern shots are fascinating - still have no idea how they go from being so tight and alien-looking to being such large flat fronds. The Daylilies are really pretty and I think easy to grow (they must be if I have them!). Worth checking out as they stay quite happily in the borders with minimal intervention and are just a really nice surprise when they appear.

      Delete
  3. The leaves on your Photinia are lovely! Last year some honeysuckle from next door started to grow through into our garden. I've been waiting for something to happen this year. Was chatting over the fence yesterday and looked down to see it had been removed but the sticks left on the fence lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Photinia is good isn't it? Pleased my mum bought it for me as it does add some much needed colour. I wouldn't be surprised if our Honeysuckle ends up in our neighbours garden at some point - they are determined plants! I'm missing the flowers from mine because of cutting it back when we did but seem to be getting no let up on the maintenance - typical!

      Delete
  4. lovely photos and your garden is looking happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo FERN LOVE! It really does look a bit like brocolli before it unfurls - I like how the leaves are less serrated than the ferns in the woods here too.
    There are some sort of lilies opened up in grandads garden this week - the scent form them is immense - I hope yours hurry up and bloom soon.

    These photos are very clear and sharp - liking them a lot :) Thanks for sharing again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you like the fern! Will be keeping an eye out on those lilies as the are about to open and they don't last long. I'm very pleased with my pictures although the camera is fairly old it does seem better at close up shots. I'm going to experiment a bit more - there are so many beautiful plants to take pictures of and my other camera does seem to let me down on that score :(

      Delete
  6. Is this the bridge? I like the images :) And I love Aquiligea too. My day lillies aren't looking quite as good as yours but are budding. And I love that you got this shot of Diarmud, made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Its all a bit greek to me at the minute but I'm hoping to get better at it as the summer progresses. My mum's day lilies are out - her garden is always about ten paces ahead of mine! Diarmuid jumps around too much - very enthusiastic! I doubt anyone could take a good shot of him!

      Delete
  7. in love with that first flower. need to find myself one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i saw Aquilegia on the chelsea flower show this year and i want to try some of them out as they did a great piece on breeding them they look so fab so many colours and shapes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fab. I might grow some more from seed next year in another colour.

      Delete
  9. You're right about keeping the honeysuckle in check as it is a terror at pulling fences down. My garden was covered in Aquilegia a couple of weeks ago but all the flowers have gone now. The flowers were quite different to yours so must have been an earlier variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reading this after having pulled some of it from out of the fence behind - blooming thing! I'm in love with the plant just not how it behaves. Not sure on the variety of my Aquilegia - they used to be all yellow but aren't any more!

      Delete
  10. I am tired right now and yet my head is spinning. I cant sleep. Stressed really. Your flower photos are nice and calming. I think that by the time I finished commenting on this linky I can finally sleep cuz of the amazing images in it like yours =) #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. I've really tried with the pictures this week!

      Delete
  11. lovely images of Aquilegia - ours are over now, sadly. Looking forward to seeing the Daylilies in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Am on a daily watch until they come out.

      Delete
  12. I love Aquilegias they are such pretty flowers. Beautiful pictures x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...