Wednesday, 14 May 2014

The Teenager

I'm often a bit down on my teen, I joke about his bad habits, about how he doesn't listen and generally about the fact that he is a teenager.  Anybody reading this would think I didn't enjoy having him around, but that's simply not true.  The thing is, he's not at all bad. In fact, now that the initial shock of his hormones has worn off, I feel that we've started to turn a corner with him.  He is actually becoming a really nice person to be around.  No, really.

This weekend I had a bit of an epiphany.  We had possibly one of the worst weekends, behaviour wise from all our children.  If one wasn't having a tantrum then another was, they argued, they fought, they sulked.  To be quite honest moments like these make me wonder why I've bothered to ever become a parent at all.  Sometimes parenting, no matter how many children you have, is overwhelming.  Fact.

Anyway, that aside, when Sunday evening rolled around I was having yet another disagreement discussion over bedtimes with DS2 and DD1, the teen was equally as annoyed as me by his siblings behaviour.  He was so annoyed that instead of piling in to the argument as usual, he walked away.  He came and sat downstairs with me and we watched proper normal television.  We had a discussion over the programme we were watching, an actual proper discussion.  He didn't use the word boring once.  It was really, for want of a better word, nice.  Then I had the epiphany.  He is growing up and I am enjoying his company such a lot.  Enjoying hearing his ideas and his thoughts on things, regardless of whether I agree or not.

Parenting is such a long and tricky process that I often get bogged down with each child moving on to the next phase of development, the next milestone or whatever.  Sometimes it is just nice to enjoy them as they are, for who they are rather than for who you think they should be.




Super Busy Mum

6 comments:

  1. Aww! He sounds a lovely young man.....
    It is very true that we should enjoy them for who they are x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really going to try and remember that before he grows up completely!

      Delete
  2. I completely understand where you are coming from as I have have two teenage girls! It is lovely when you have that time together to enjoy them and chat. Your son sounds like a lovely boy :-) #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post and and as someone has already said, your teen sounds like a lovely young man! I have two teens myself and the younger teen {13} rarelly sees the light of day due to gaming, but my older teen and I are constantly chatting, so I get what you say, it's nice!

    Thanks so much for linking up! #MMWBH xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well its rare that DS1 looks up from his games console, but I must say it did make a nice change! Thanks for hosting #MMWBH

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...