Thursday, 29 May 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - Mum's Garden

I know I said I was going to keep linking monthly to keep an update of our garden, but the truth is, I'm getting slightly addicted to watching the plants as they grow and to sharing it here.  We've had pretty terrible gardening weather here this week, although Monday was a gorgeous day (how fantastic is that for a bank holiday?!).  

We decided to spend the day at my Mum's house.  Her garden is simply wonderful.  She spends so much time in it and you can really tell, because as I walked through the garden gate it kind of hit me all at once - so many different plants and flowers, a complete opposite to our efforts in our own garden really!

I'd forgotten my own camera and so I grabbed Mum's camera and had a few minutes to myself snapping my favourite bits while the children all ran around for a bit.  The pictures aren't the best but I did what I could as it seemed too good an opportunity to miss.  My favourites are the hostas.  I'd love some in my own garden, although I've tried to grow them in the past they always end up being eaten by slugs and looking terrible.  Looking at Mum's vast collection of them, I'm very tempted to try again as they are really great plants.






I've no idea what this next plant is but it captured my attention with its delicate hanging flowers.




I love clematis and since we cut ours back I have really missed it.  My mum has convinced me that I need a different type of plant and this one she has is really pretty and also doesn't cover half the garden like our Montana did!



Lovely lupins.  Mum has these everywhere and they do really well in her garden.  This is just the back corner of the garden.  I like how they are poking up between the other plants here.



These are just a few of the pictures that I took.  Annoyingly most of the others are either out of focus or have disappeared into cyberspace as I tried to email them from Mum's computer to ours.



We spent the rest of the day in the garden playing badminton with the children.  It was loads of fun and such a gorgeous space to be in.  Again, I would share a picture of DH as he thrashed everybody gracefully won each game (competitive dad, him?), but luckily for him that picture has also disappeared too!


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

14 comments:

  1. The lupins are beautiful, we really do love ours! Lovely pictures x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tempted to grow some myself now!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely garden your Mum has! I love clematis- would really like to get some trellis up so I can start growing some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Clematis are beautiful at this time of the year aren't they?

      Delete
  3. I bet that picture of him could be found though! Loving your mums garden - such variety. I love the look of hosts too but hear such tales of woe from people growing them that it's kind of put me off!
    Thank ever so much for joining in again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the pictures are coming! DD1 has written a post for me to accompany them :) Yeah, the Hostas are a pain if you get slugs - I've never managed to keep any looking nice :( Really enjoyed linking up again, so thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh it might come through sometimes I have the same trouble with too big of photos being emailed. Mr P is always getting photos from me a week later because it took that long to send for some reason. Hope you find them! These are all lovely. I have only just started my garden but I am so excited for them to bloom and me to be able to share them. I shared a few of the first site of blossoms this week! #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, probably that - I might go and take some more pictures as mum has some wonderful and unusual things and it would be a shame not to record them somehow. We started our garden from bare earth and its surprising how quickly it can take shape - so exciting!

      Delete
  5. Your Mums garden looks great. I love those dangling little buds too #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are sweet little flowers aren't they? Must ask what they are...

      Delete
  6. I'm going to have to get me some of those lupins, I love how they look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful garden your mother has
    and the photos are great.
    It's a Solomon's Seal (polygonatum biflorum), from the US.
    A woodland plant said to have healing properties.
    I always find it very healing just looking at mine - so elegant and pensive!
    Happy Half Term - what's left of it.
    Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad someone has come along to solve the mystery. The way it sort of reaches across everything else in the border is really nice I think. Happy half term to you too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...