Thursday, 22 May 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow? - May

After linking up with Annie at Mammasaurus at the beginning of the month and receiving so many comments on our garden, I thought I'd try to make it a bit more of a regular thing.  We've not done much to the garden in the last few weeks (other than DH's fence painting, lawn feeding/mowing and some weeding which I cannot take any credit for!) but things are still happening almost daily.  Looking out of the kitchen window the other day I saw something I wasn't expecting - a flower.  There were actually a few belonging to an Aquilegia which has since seeded itself under our Magnolia.  The fully open flowers were a bit tricky to photograph bobbing around in the breeze but I think they look so delicate and pretty.  I was really pleased that they were there to break up the vast expanse of green that we seem to have ended up with since cutting back so many plants earlier in the year.




We have a few new plants too including these chives, which seem to love their new home.  I can never get enough of plants that you can cook with as well as enjoy in their own right and these really fit the bill.


One thing that always happens when the weather gets better is that my neighbour's Acer, which grows over the top of the fence between us, starts to look so amazing against the blue of the sky.  I absolutely love the intense red canopy and have real Acer envy.


This becomes especially apparent when you see what has happened to one of mine in the last few weeks. It was a really pretty little tree, sitting right next to the deck in a pot looking very Zen against the pebbles.   For some reason, once the leaves started to appear this year it seemed to give up and now is just a rather unappealing grey stick :(


I'm wondering whether it might have something to do with the Ceanothus we have which was one of the plants that faced the chop back in April.  It used to provide the Acer with shade but had grown so huge we had no light in the kitchen.  It is now a trunk with a few random flowers, but you can see lots of little shoots all over it, which gives me hope that in a year or two we will have a nice tidy compact version of the plant that it was before.  I have really missed the purple/blue flowers this year but it was a trade off to be able to see through the kitchen window again!


Lastly, I'm pleased to report that we finally had some fronds from our missing Regal Fern appear and now it's back!  This was the best shot I could manage as it really isn't a substantial plant like some of the other ferns in our garden, but there are many more fronds like that one which must mean it is in relatively good health.



So, that's our garden in May.  I want it to eventually look like this again (you can even see the now dead Acer if you look closely).


That photograph was taken two years ago and it is fair to say while the garden is looking good at the minute it isn't anything like that picture.  So, that's the goal for now.


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

10 comments:

  1. It's looking great out there, and that acer is beautiful - I'd get acer envy with that one, too! Lots of signs of growth and life so it'll all be blooming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is lovely to see it all coming together after a year of neglect last year - these posts are making me want to keep on top of it all too (rain permitting).

      Delete
  2. I love plants you can cook with too. When we moved we didn't have the fresh herb bed for a couple of months and I didn't realise how often I used it until that time! Beautiful photos, love that Acer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really underestimated being able to nip out into the garden and pick things to cook with - now we have a little selection of herbs it really does make cooking easier and tastier!

      Delete
  3. Wow your neighbours Acer is beautiful! I keep telling the hubby that we need to get one at some point! Lovely pictures x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is isn't it? We have another Acer in a pot which is the same as theirs and I can't persuade DH to plant it in the ground at the minute so that we can have a lovely tree too. The colours are so amazing - you should definitely get one!

      Delete
  4. You can't beat the red Acer leaves against blue sly can you? Bummer about your suddenly turning to a stick, I wonder what's done it.
    Totally with you on the chives, Kitty keeps sneaking out to pick and chives and I keep telling her to make sure she doesn't rip any flower heads off them!

    Uncurling fronds are my new love this year - I'd never stopped to look at them before - so unusual looking as the unwind!

    Thanks for joining in again - have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not even the best picture. On a really clear hot day it is completely crimson and just wonderful - the neighbours must think I've lost the plot staring at it as I do! Gutted about the little one in the pot but its making a rather good spider house at the minute - webs all over it!

      Our chives can remain for the moment - I'll think of something to do with them once the flowers are finished. They are too nice to pick.

      Those ferns were really strange looking before they unfurled - should have taken a picture but one moment they were closed and then bam! there they were!

      Thanks for hosting Annie, I am really enjoying visiting everyone else's blogs - gives me lots of ideas!

      Delete
  5. It's lovely when colour starts appearing! You have a fab garden, hope you get it looking how you want it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOur garden is so pretty! I really dont know what to say but I am in awe of the awesomeness of the colors in there. #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...