Thursday, 1 May 2014

How does your Garden Grow? - April

Since clearing out all the overgrown plants in our garden a few weekends ago (you can read a bit about that here) it has really been wonderful to see everything growing properly again.  I thought I'd take some pictures this week to serve as a bit of a garden diary for me to look back on.

Ferns are DH's favourite plant and we have a few growing at the bottom of the garden under some trees.  Our favourite one, a Regal Fern, suffered during the storm damage when the fence went over and I think may be well and truly lost - we remain hopeful that we might see a frond or two but nothing yet.  The other Ferns we have are doing well.  It is fascinating to see them as they unfurl.




Last month I took a picture of our Magnolia as it flowered.  Unfortunately there was a rather overgrown clematis behind it.  One of our jobs last bank holiday was removing this and this is the Magnolia as it stands today.  It is nice to finally see its proper shape and I love being able to see it out of my kitchen window (sadly I'm usually doing the washing up!).  I think it is possibly my favourite plant in the garden now.

Standing alone

Last month's shot complete with tangled Clematis behind

One of the things that seem to do rather well in our garden (for that read: one of the things we have not managed to kill yet) are Laurels.  We have a few of them but also have a Bay tree (which my mother informs me is part of the same family of plants).  DH bought it because as the roast dinner cook of the house he gets through loads of Bay leaves and this has been way cheaper than buying them.  The Bay has put on so much new growth just recently that we can't seem to give it away fast enough!  I noticed a few weeks ago that along with one of the Laurel bushes, it too has flowered.  Although its nearly finished flowering now, I think the flowers are quite pretty against the backdrop of green.


Sadly, not quite in time for our Easter leg of lamb, our mint has come back.  Experienced gardeners might think that you can't kill a mint plant, but somehow over the past few years we've managed this about three times!  I don't think it was our fault however, as the leaves appeared to have been stripped from the plant.  Whatever animal/insect it was I'm sure it had nice fresh breath, but I'm very glad it has gone away. I've got two pots of mint on the go and this is the best one.  My mum managed to root one lot of plants last year from cut mint bought in the supermarket.  I was amazed that you could do that, but it appears to have survived quite well!


I'm linking this post up with Annie at Mammasaurus.  Click on the badge below to look at some of the other posts that are linked up too.

Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

23 comments:

  1. The magnolia is stunning, I just love those flowers.
    We have a clematis growing up the back wall, they are rather determined plants, I was sure I removed it last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's left of ours is now a one foot high stump and appears to have been weeping sap for the last two weeks - I swear it will never die. Shouldn't have planted it in the first place but you really do live and learn with gardening!

      Delete
  2. Ooo I love watching ferns unfurl too, I only have a small fern in my garden but have seen some huge ones unfurling in the forest around us. I have feral mint here at the moment - yours looks much more well tamed!

    Thank you for joining in and sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have some tiny ferns poking up through the decking. DH has banned me/the children from pulling them up and they do look charming once they get bigger. He'd have a whole garden of them if I let him! The mint is in a square planter on the edge of our deck. Looking at it the whole thing is stuffed with mint shoots now - I dread to think what I'd be dealing with if it was in the ground!

      Delete
  3. Those ferns amaze me. We use to have one in our garden and it looked really tired and brown, then all of a sudden it would spring to life again. I picked up a Bay last weekend and am looking forward to cooking with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched those ferns over the past few weeks turn from ugly brown stumps into wonderful fronds - still amazes me. Our Bay is about six feet tall now - we bought it as a small plant five years ago. It has been one of our best garden investments!

      Delete
  4. oh magnolia.... i just love the way they look and smell....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, my mint plant has been eaten to bits too, like you, I thought only I could kill mint....I've been spraying with fairy liquid and water, so fingers crossed its not terminal. Yours gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all else fails I really recommend buying a packet of supermarket mint and rooting it yourself - I seem to have plenty now and it hasn't been eaten yet!

      Delete
  6. Cant help but smile about the mint insect having a fresh breath. Love that frn. The swirl at the end is always fun to look at =)

    #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ferns look like they are stitched together at the ends until they magically pop open - I love that.

      Delete
  7. I love magnolia, that smell is gorgeous! Good to see the mint going strong, you must have green fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I do love those ferns, we have a few here they're wonderful. Your magnolia tree is looking rather splendid as it the mint. You'll have to have some more lamb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait until the magnolia stretches out a bit and rights itself - the clematis has rather pushed it out of its place. It really needs a bit of shaping to get it looking nicer still but I'm happy with it for the moment.

      Delete
  9. Our mint has always gone crazy and is trying to spread out taking over the garden. Does he dry the bay leaves or anything before he uses them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't dry our bay leaves. I quite often find myself racing to the bottom of the garden mid-recipe to pick a few!

      Delete
  10. I love ferns too - they remind me of woodland gardens. I must grow some mint now that you mention it ........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should - essential not just for lamb but also for a Pimms in the summer!

      Delete
  11. I love how the ferns curl at the end :-) We have a bay tree and I have just picked some leaves to dry out for cooking. Looks like you've been busy x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have, but it is really great to see some reward for the work that dh in particular has put in!

      Delete
  12. I love fresh mint in the garden. We used to grow it when I was little, I used to rub it between my fingers, to get the smell mmm x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, some comments would be really great!