Friday, 11 April 2014

Word of the Week

This week has marked the start of the Easter holidays for us.  Wait a minute, Easter still isn't for another week yet - why am I having to deal with the holidays already then?  Anyhow, I digress.  My word this week is a word that I'm sure like me a lot of parents will be feeling, or to be exact, hearing over the next few weeks:

BORED

What is it with children these days?  They have more stuff that you can shake a stick at and yet they are still bored.  My lot are particularly bad at this.  They have access to computers, tablets, games consoles, toys, books, board games, art and craft stuff, the great outdoors and the television if they really must, and they can't think of anything to do!

I would quite happily let them do all or any of the above for as long as they liked, if it meant that I'd have five minutes peace to do something for me, instead I have been sent into the loft to search for toys that I didn't realise were there, been asked for money for a trip to the library to rent out a video game (no wonder my purse is always empty) and spent most of the early part of the week reorganising our stash of Lego for ease of model building.

The result?  Well, DS1 and DD1 picked up their video games and also a book or two, DD2 has spent the week playing with dolls rather than being glued to Cbeebies, and DS2 and 3 have been building Lego models happily rather than playing on the Xbox.  

I've decided that being bored isn't always a bad thing.  My children have been content with their own company, there have been less arguments than normal and I'm sure our electricity bill might have actually come down a bit.  If only I could get them all to have a lie in occasionally!

The Reading Residence

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the lie in! The deal in our house is that when they're up they can each (the three of them) choose what they want to watch for half an hour on the TV, and although we're up anyway once Smiler is up (he has SLD) it means the other two leave us alone until that first cuppa has been drunk! I'm exactly the same about Easter - they're kind of having the holiday before Easter and then tagging the back holiday on the end - cheek!
    Found you through WotW - fingers crossed for your electricity bill!
    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think the lighter morning help - my youngest two think its time to get up at about 6!

      Delete
  2. I have this all to come, don't I?! My two are constantly on the go and never bored, but I know times will change! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say it, but yes! I really liked it when my first two were toddlers, they were so much easier to entertain!

      Delete
  3. Ah the word bored. My girl has said this a few times and I'm not even sure she knows what it means? I teach teens and they are always bloomin bored xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A teacher of teens? You deserve a medal! Their only redeeming feature is that you can reason with them most of the time. I'm quite impressed that mine made it to the library and came back with an actual book. Even he can see that boredom has it's advantages.

      Delete
  4. Good thing I have 3 years old. Still fascinated with small things. With you boredom is a blessing in disguise tho =) #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 is a lovely age - quite sad I no longer have any three year olds. You are right though, it was a blessing in disguise!

      Delete
  5. I hate hearing my eldest say "I'm bored" you're right, they have so many toys and gadgets. When he says I'm bored it can often be his way of saying he wants me to do something with him, I just he'd say it instead of moaning "I'm bored" thankfully so far this holiday he hasn't said it that I can remember x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...