Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Adventures In Baking - Mini Banana Muffins

It appears that over the holidays we didn't get through much fruit (not surprising with all the Easter eggs we seem to have accumulated), and so with several over ripe bananas waving at me from the fruit bowl this morning I decided that it was high time I resurrected my adventures in baking and made something with them.  

I originally thought I might make a sort of tray bake but after a rummage around in the kitchen I came across some mini muffin cases that looked a bit past their best (goodness knows what I'd bought them for) so I decided to use them to make some mini banana muffins.  I thought that they would be perfect for putting into lunch boxes for school and, in the twins case at least, might gain me a few extra smug mummy points with the lunch box police (I don't have much time left to earn them after all as the twins will get some of Mr Clegg's marvellous free school meals soon so no more lunch boxes - can't wait).

Anyway, on with the recipe:

Ingredients

100g butter
125g caster sugar
2 eggs
125g sultanas
zest of half a lemon
4 small very ripe bananas
200g self-raising flour

Method

Cream the butter and sugar together until well combined.  Add the eggs and beat in to the mixture one at a time.  I used an electric mixer for these steps as it is quicker but you can do it all by hand just as well.

Stir in the sultanas and the lemon zest and then mash the bananas up (they need to be quite well mashed) and add them to the mixture and stir through.

Sift in the self-raising flour and then fold in thoroughly.

Once everything is combined, put the mixture into the cases using a couple of teaspoons (one to scoop the mixture up and the other to push it off the first spoon into the case).  You need to do this quickly if, like me, you haven't got any fancy mini muffin tins to put your cases in.  The mixture is quite thick and heavy and will push the cases out of shape if you leave them to sit on a baking sheet for too long before placing them in the oven.  The mixture will fill around 50 small cases so you may also need to bake them in batches - I did as I only have two baking sheets suitable for this.

Pop the filled muffin cases into the oven at 180ยบC for around 10 minutes or until the muffins are golden on the top and well risen.

Cool on a wire rack then stuff into lunch boxes and feel smug that you have not only baked something delicious but have also disguised the hideous rotting fruit as something edible.  Result!

My eldest daughter said the house smelt so good after I baked these.  She is a banana refusenik and so they must be OK for her to say that.  Praise indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...