Friday, 28 February 2014

Word of the Week

I've been sitting here for over half an hour now, thinking about my word for this week.  Usually it comes to me very easily, but this week there are so many things going on in my head that I have too many words!  (Not all of them are polite so I'll be keeping those to myself)

Anyway, I better choose one otherwise I'll be absent from this linky yet again and so this week my word will be



Why surprised?  Well, I've a few reasons.

1.  Yesterday I had a bit of a home emergency and was due to pick ds2 up from an after school club.  Knowing I couldn't be in two places at once I decided to ask ds1 if he'd mind going to fetch his brother for me.  School is only round the corner and although I've seen countless older siblings collecting other children from school I have always felt that it is my job to be there for my kids at the end of their day.  I'm usually picking up several at once so this really isn't an issue for me.  So, rather surprising to me, ds1 agreed and went and picked up his brother for me,  making sure he walked safely home.  I would never have let him do that six months ago, but he is suddenly quite grown up and was also surprisingly OK with the responsibility. (He didn't help carry any of the bags though and moaned that ds2 walked too slowly - still a typical teen at heart!)

2.  Having had an ongoing issue with a certain treasury backed savings organisation for the past six months, they did finally confirm that the account I have had with them since birth does actually exist and they are writing with confirmation and an account number.  Shocked would be a better way to describe how I felt, but surprised covers it too, bearing in mind that I was about to give up because I didn't think they would ever be able to track it down for me.  

3.  Major surprise of the week, some very lovely people somewhere have nominated me in the MAD blog awards!  I really was very surprised to see my name on the list and also thrilled that somebody thought of my blog when filling out their nominations.  I've been nominated in two categories, Best Schooldays Blog and Best Family Travel Blog (not sure about that one, maybe for services to Micro Scooters?!).  Still, thank you whoever you are, I would send gin but apparently that's against the rules so this will have to do.  Incidentally, I wasn't going to blog about these awards because I'm realistic enough to know my blog isn't as popular and long running as some and there are so many brilliant blogs out there.  I'm now going to do something very unlike me and let you know that nominations are still open, so if you'd like to send a nomination or two my way then you can click on the MAD blog awards badge in my sidebar and fill out my blog details on the nominations page.  You will have my eternal gratitude, plus you can look upon it as services to housework because the winners all get a shiny trophy and those things need to be dusted! (and I need all the encouragement I can get there!)

Why not click on the badge below too and check out some of the other word of the week posts!


The Reading Residence

14 comments:

  1. Firstly, congratulations on your nominations! It is a wonderful moment when your older kids can help out with the younger ones. My eighteen year old is looking after his three younger brothers in April whilst my husband and I attend a wedding that the kids weren't invited too. This is the first time we will have left them all to their own devices and I'm a little worried about what we might come home to .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Kids can be so surprising sometimes, I'm sure yours will all be fine. I hope you enjoy the wedding - I'm very envious of all that child free time!

      Delete
  2. A lovely word, and nice reasons, too. And congratulations on your nominations - best of luck :-) Thanks for taking that half an hour's worth of word-thinking and joining in with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you although I'm sure I will need more than luck! It is nice to be a little bit involved in the awards though.

      Delete
  3. Some nice surprises there! #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great word and congratulations on your nomination :-) I have also been shocked to be nominated :-) x #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, it really is a lovely feeling isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Lovely reasons to be surprised :) #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes a nice change to have lovely reasons, I must say!

      Delete
  6. I can almost see your eyebrows going higher and higher as I read your post!
    #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reasons to be surprised and well done on your nominations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...