Thursday, 27 February 2014

Heroes of the City - Review and Competition

I was recently asked by the creators of Heroes of the City if I'd like to review their app which is aimed at children aged 3-7.

I'm always on the look out for new children's apps for our iPads so that the twins can use them.  I like games that offer some sort of educational benefit or something that encourages them to play in other ways rather than just using the iPad alone.  Heroes of the City is perfect for this.  Not only is there an app but there are also story books and DVDs available.  There are die cast character toys too.  We  received a pack containing a book, DVD, and two toys and we were sent a code to download the app as well.




The twins were very excited and wanted to watch the DVD straight away!  There were five short episodes of Heroes of the City on the DVD and we watched them back to back.  The stories are all about rescue vehicles in a small town and have some lovely messages about helping each other out and friendship.  DS3 was particularly enthralled by the DVD and watched it intently, his sister less so, although she was quite busy playing with one of the Heroes of the City toys at the time!

Once we'd watched the DVD both children asked me to get out their playmat which has roads all over it so that they could drive their toys all around it and play Heroes of the City for real!




We then had a look at the app.  DD2 really likes the train game the best - the object of which is to make a track for the train to get it to the finish line, using the track tiles provided.  There are nine games in all and three on the free version of the app.  All the games seemed easy for my two pre-schoolers to pick up and they had a lot of fun with them.  There are movie clips too, which DS3 rather enjoyed watching.  It is a great app to have as part of our collection and I'd really recommend downloading and trying it out.  The app can be downloaded from the iTunes AppStore here, or the GooglePlay Store here.  One thing I really liked is that the app runs on our two original iPads which we let the children use - not all apps seem to do this so I was rather glad that I didn't have to let them loose on my shiny new iPad instead!



We read the story book that we were sent at bedtime. It seemed a lovely way to end a day that had been filled with Heroes of the City play.  The twins enjoyed the story and asked lots of questions about the pictures.  I have a feeling that I will get to know this story book very well as it has been requested a few times since!  In fact we haven't really stopped playing with any of the things we were sent which is a good sign that it is a hit with them!

Heroes of the City have offered a book, DVD and toy set like the one we received (as pictured at the top of this post) to give away to one of my readers.  If you'd like to be in with a chance to win just enter via the rafflecopter form below.  I'll draw the winner shortly after the competition closes and announce it on Twitter.  Good Luck!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

We were sent a Heroes of the City book, DVD and toy set and app code for the purpose of this review.  All opinions are our own.

8 comments:

  1. my fave childrens story book is Where going on a bear hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The witches was my favourite story when I was about 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is We're going on a Bear Hunt. Potato's is currently 'Monkey Puzzle' but it changes all the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!! thanks for the give away! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little girls favourite story is i want to be a ballerina xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...