Monday, 3 February 2014

Bedroom Battles

For the past few months I feel like I have been waging a war against my two boys over the state of their bedroom. The teen claims it is nothing to do with him, he just sleeps there you see.  The clothes strewn all oven the floordrobe would beg to differ, if they could talk.

In all honesty, ds2, aged 8, is the main culprit.  He loves Lego, probably more than anything else.  He loves it so much that he is often late to the dinner table, we shout for him, but he is lost in a world of model creation.  As he creates, he leaves a path of destruction behind him.  Models litter every surface until nobody can get into the room without treading on them.

This doesn't just cause a disagreement between me and him.  The teen is getting pretty fed up of sharing a bedroom reminiscent of a post apocalyptic Legoland.  So much so that on the last occasion I asked them to tidy it, he proceeded to throw all his brother's carefully created models back into their storage tubs, smashing them to pieces in the process.  A tantrum followed.  Ds2 is terribly protective over his creations and so I learned that this probably wasn't the best course of action to take in future.

Over the last week the LSL (Lego Saturation Levels) had reached an all time high.  Time to tackle it again.  This morning I found myself at a lose end, and with both boys out of the house at school I decided to take on the tidying challenge.  I neatened, made beds, picked up clothes, sorted out earbuds (mine are the only boys who seem to practise knots on these - who needs Cub Scouts!), and made the very brave decision to tip a large tray of Lego models back into a gigantic storage tub where it belonged.  A few models wouldn't fit and were stored behind the bedroom door.  Picking up a smaller tub, I carefully moved them into it.  Finally I had finished.  The room was tidy.



Triumphantly, I sent a picture to dh, who responded that it wouldn't be like that for long.  I braced myself for ds2's return from school, and yet another argument over the removal of his precious Lego.  Ds1, I assumed would be joyous that I had returned his teen den to its proper state.

School ended and ds2 tumbled through the door.  He thundered up the stairs.  I waited (reasoning an argument in my head as to why I had done such a terrible thing).  He skipped back down the stairs, beaming, he said "Thanks, Mum".  "Thanks?" I said, not really expecting him to be so reasonable.  "Yeah, thank you for tidying and for putting my best models in the little boxes for me!"  I was stunned.  Then, a cry came from upstairs.  "Muuuuum!  Why have you put my stuff here?  It should be over here with the rest of my things!"  It was ds1.  

I suppose, as the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. But, I tried, I really did!

12 comments:

  1. "Lego Saturation Levels" - LOL! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The higher the saturation levels, the lower the parent's happiness!

      Delete
  2. Well that's funny, my teen son happens to have a floordrobe too! Who knew they are so popular! #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original minimal effort clothes storage system! The pre-teen seems to favour stuffing things back in drawers or under the bed once worn - still at least it keeps them off the floor I suppose!

      Delete
  3. My four year old tidied her room (shared with two year old) on Sunday. At least, she put all the toys in the boxes and stuffed clothes in a pile. The floor was clear for the first time in months, so I cleared the clothes away, removed rubbish and vacuumed the floor! I like to stand outside the room and just look at it now. A haven in the midst of our chaos. The rest of the children have spent a lot of time in that room in the last two days. I think they appreciate the tidy space too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I did that too Nicola, just standing and looking. It was very sweet yesterday when I found three of them all playing nicely in there - mainly because they could all find a space! An oasis of calm indeed!

      Delete
  4. I think you did a super job! lol i think children will never be pleased lol lol

    thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, someone is always unhappy here. I just didn't think that it would backfire in such a positive way - children are so unpredictable! Thanks to you for hosting :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhhhh! I thought the constant tidying would get better as they get older, you've ruined all my illusions! LSL made me laugh a lot ;) #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sorry about that, although the teen is quite tidy aside from the floordrobe issues! Glad I made you laugh! :)

      Delete
  6. I would be intrigued to see another bedroom picture - one week on. Tidiness is such a fleeting state - there one minute and gone the next.

    Touchline Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right there. A week on and it was pretty much back to its previous state. Then I threatened them with putting the lot in a bin liner and taking it to the tip. It was tidied in minutes. Mum wins again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...