Tuesday, 7 January 2014

2013 - the Highs and the Lows

I don't do resolutions as there is no point as I see it.  If I want to change something in my life I will, the date makes no difference.  Now, because of that I really wasn't going to do this post as I'm not sure that there has been much to note in 2013 for me (it's been a year if treading water for us to be honest) but Kate on Thin Ice has tagged me to answer some questions about the past year and so I thought I'd at least give it a go.

1.  What was your happiest event?

I've really struggled to answer this one.  We haven't been anywhere or done anything really exciting this last year and although lovely things have happened to me, no one event stands out.

2.  What was the saddest thing to happen?

Again, there have been a fair few moments that have made me sad in 2013, but I'm not sure any one really merits being the answer to this question.  I suppose I should view this in a positive way though, plenty of people lose loved ones or face difficult times but we've been lucky enough to dodge that this time.

3.  What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did?

I started a blog, I joined twitter.  I never thought I'd do either of those things!  On a more serious note my mum was ill in November and she and I both assumed it was the return of the cancer which she has already beaten once before.  Happily she has had the all clear - something I thought would never happen.

4.  Who let you down?

Thankfully, no one.

5.  Who supported you?

My family, the bloggers I've met in the last few months, the people that follow my blog.  All brilliant in their own ways.

6.  Tell us what you learned.

Actually, quite a bit.  Blogging has been a huge learning curve for me and something of an eye opener.  

7.  Tell us what made you laugh.

My children, particularly the youngest two.  They come out with some hilarious comments.  My husband who, despite having so much on his plate these days, can still crack a joke and make me giggle.

This is what happened when dh said he would name some of the herbs in the freezer for me


Bloggers made me laugh too.  There are so many funny people out there and I wish that I could be half as funny and them.

8.  Tell us the things that made you cry.

A depressing answer this, but the thing that still makes me cry a lot is worry over the future.  Not sure there is an answer to this though, I just need to relax about things more.

Missing my dad.  Two years at the end of this month.

9.  Tell us three things your child or children did to make you feel proud.

My eldest daughter started secondary school and took it in her stride.  She has even made new friends and joined in with some after school clubs.

My eldest son doing so well at school, particularly maths which he has a real talent for.

My middle son who had a glowing end of year report from his teacher at school.  She actively sought me out at a school event to tell me how impressed she was with him!

My twins, growing and learning all the time.  Ds3 can already read and spell a few words and dd2 can write her own name!

I know that's four but I'm proud of all of them for something!

10.  Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself.

Ummm... nothing. A bit like a school report, I could do better.

11.  Tell us the challenges you overcame.

Dealing with tots and teens under the same roof, although I don't think I've overcome this but it is an ongoing challenge!

Trying to make things work on my blog when I don't have a clue about how to do most of it.

Most stuff that forms part of daily life, but then it is just life and gets dealt with as such!

12.  Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2014.

As I said I don't make resolutions, I'd never stick to them anyway.  There are things I'd like for the coming year.  I'd like to be a better blogger, I'd like to have some of the opportunities that other bloggers get.  I'd like to be able to write some more entertaining things on my blog too.

I have to say, I'm fairly happy with life but I'd like to be a bit bolder with decisions.  Part of our problem is that fear surrounding redundancy has taken away our ability to just do things.  We're too frightened of making the wrong decisions and I'd prefer it if we were more like we were in our twenties and just go for it!

So there you have it, not resolutions as such, just a realisation that 2013 was ok, perhaps a bit "meh" and if I want to move on from this I've got to do it myself.  The new year will make no difference to that.

2 comments:

  1. Hoping to see you as one of the #groovymums - sense it might help a bit.
    You should be proud of you for all those challenges overcome this year and for being a fabulous mum who helps your children move forward positively.
    I will rephrase question 9 next year - you see I am learning all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see me - I quite fancy the idea of being groovy! Thank you for tagging me, it's given me plenty of food for thought.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...