Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Last minute twitching and a Merry Christmas!



I haven't felt much like blogging in the last week.  Christmas is always such a busy time for us and in the interests of trying to get everything done I've been keeping my head down and powering on through.  Now it's Christmas Eve and I've managed a full house clean, ironed everything I can, including the tablecloth and napkins ready for tomorrow, the fridge is bulging with food and there's a sizable quantity of wine in the kitchen.  I should be feeling settled but I'm now thinking that I should maybe do just one more sweep of the floors and perhaps I should have done a bit of extra baking too.

I always have a little bit of a last minute twitch over presents and the like and this year is no different.  Dh is twitching like mad over tomorrow's menu.  Has he got enough carrots?  Will there be enough stock cubes?  He has made visits to four separate shops today - some of them twice!  That's the thing about Christmas when you are a grown up, and moreover a parent.  You always strive to make things perfect for the big day, the perfect meal, the perfect presents.  Our children appreciate none of this of course.  My eldest daughter dropped the bombshell this afternoon that she has changed her mind about what she wants - how typical! (And tough luck I'm afraid, I may try to make everything perfect but I'm no miracle worker.)

I know though, that despite all the worry and planning when we wake tomorrow the children will be overexcited, there will be wrapping paper everywhere and I won't care anymore.  It won't matter that there isn't quite enough tin foil or that I could have bought something cheaper had I waited to buy it in the sale.  The important thing is that we will all be together, enjoying time as a family.  It's something that I've come to appreciate such a lot in recent years.  The trimmings, decorations and gifts are all extras.  

So with that in mind, I'd like to wish everyone who reads my blog a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I hope you enjoy the festivities and I'll catch you all in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...