Monday, 4 November 2013

Lunch Time Love

Over the last week or so, its been extremely difficult to get the twins to go into pre-school without a tear or two.  The staff assure me that they have a good time when I'm gone and they do always come out smiling.  That still doesn't make it any easier for us as I try to prise their hands from mine or remove one or the other of them from my leg when its time for me to go.

The worst bit is that just as ds3 has managed to settle and not end up having a tantrum, then dd2 decides that it is her turn to cry as soon as I leave.  They are tag teaming me!  I'm sure the other parents must either pity me or think that I'm a terrible parent as I stride purposefully out of the building with one or sometimes both of them wailing like banshees as the staff try to stop them from running after me.  This is a new thing for me as the other three children used to skip happily into pre-school, waving and smiling and actively urging me to leave at times!

Some distraction does help and the pre-school are fantastic at that but sometimes the lure of play dough or cutting and sticking doesn't even work.  In addition to that it eats into my precious child free time, the time that everyone promised me I'd have once the twins were finally in pre-school.  Three hours isn't actually very much though and two and a half (by the time I've extracted myself) barely gives me time to do all the things I need to do before its time to pick them up again.

That was until last Friday.  Friday is different for them at pre-school because I have an extra 45 minutes of our 15 free hours left at the end of every week.  This means that I can tag on a lunch time session for them and send them in with their lunch.  They get to have lunch in the dinner hall in the main school with all the bigger children.  While most pre-schoolers might be a bit daunted by this, mine really seem to love it.  They are actively involved in choosing what goes into their lunch bags and cannot wait to sit with their friends and eat there.


The lunch bags - apparently the best lunch bags ever...

So, last Friday, I was expecting to have to make my usual exit, with wailing children clinging to the hem of my coat.  When we arrived though, the twins rushed in, threw their coats off in record time and happily sat with all the other children waiting for lunch.  Dd2 waved and grinned at me, ds3 shouted "Bye, Bye, Mummy" and that was that.

I walked out of the school gate without the sound of my children crying echoing in my ears, I walked home with a smile on my face.  Who knew something so simple would have such a positive effect on us all?

I'm joining in for the first time with the #magicmoments linky at theoliversmadhouse.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I can certainly relate. My 3-year-old has been saying "I don't want to go to play-school!" the past couple of weeks. She used to enjoy going, now she's just being stubborn. I know this is just a phase and I can't wait till she gets over it. It can get a bit stressful sometimes, right? Stopping over from #MagicMoments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it is very stressful, but I'm hoping we might have sorted it out now!

      Delete
  2. yay i love it when one of those moments just happens completely out of the blue and surprises you!

    I am so pleased for you that you got the silence :-)

    Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a surprise - but a very nice one too! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...